I saw Cloverfield last night and let me just preface all this by saying that short of a Cloverfield-esque monster attacking Omaha, nothing is going to stop me from seeing this movie again tonight. It is that good.
As you probably already know, the entire movie is shot from a hand-held camera. This might make some of you motion-sick. I get motion sickness pretty easily and I could definitely feel it about halfway through the movie--but that didn't stop me from loving the shit out of this film.
Here's the two key ingredients that make Cloverfield such a great movie:
1) Everything you hate about monster movies has been taken out.
There are no cliched meetings between politicians and generals, no rogue reporter/scientist who has the far-fetched solution to killing the monster, no drawn-out introductions about how the monster came to be. The only thing left is a group of five friends with one thing on their minds: "Holy shit. A one-thousand-foot monster just destroyed our city. Let's not get fucking killed by it!" Which they find much more difficult than you would imagine.
2) Everything you love about monster movies is still there.
YES, YOU SEE THE MONSTER. I won't describe what it looks like, partly because I really can't--it's like nothing I've ever seen before. And it's scary. Imagine the most disturbing, deadly monster/creature you've ever seen in movies or on TV, and now imagine it 1000 feet tall, smashing through the city where you live. And you don't have to wait an hour to see the monster. After 20 minutes of movie, it makes you FEEL the monster. This movie is scary on a level that has never been touched by cinema before. It's the first legitimately scary giant monster movie I have ever seen.
Bottom Line: If you have only 8 dollars left and you must choose between seeing this movie and feeding your family tonight, you should probably buy a nice $8 dinner. But otherwise, see Cloverfield, you fucking cheapskate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Nah. Monster movies aren't my thing. Especially ones that give me motion sickness.
Post a Comment